Our Expertise

Letko Brosseau has a long history of meeting the requirements of institutional investors. We currently manage portfolios for more than 395 institutional clients including a variety of corporations and public funds (defined benefit and contribution pension plans), universities and hospital endowments, foundations, and other types of institutional investors.

Client assets under management
by mandate ($27.1 bn)

<p><strong>Client assets under management<br />
</strong>by mandate ($27.1 bn)</p>

Communicating Strategy and Results

Each institutional client is assigned an Investment Services Director, whose primary role is to meet committee members and stakeholders and provide insight on Letko Brosseau's investment philosophy, portfolio strategy, company outlooks and portfolio performance. The Director is available to meet and report on a quarterly or annual basis, as required.

Investment Services Team

Customized Servicing
and Reporting

We work closely with investment committees and their consultants. This includes discussion of the Statement of Investment Policies (SIP), in determining appropriate asset mixes and in meeting compliance requirements. A comprehensive set of statements is available and custom reports can be designed to facilitate reporting requirements for investment consultants, family offices and internal/external auditors.

Mandates currently open

  • Global Balanced
  • Foreign Balanced
  • Canadian Balanced
  • ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance Issues) Balanced
  • Global Equity (Canadian and foreign equities)
  • Foreign Equity (only non-Canadian equities)
  • Emerging markets
  • Canadian Equity
  • Canadian Equity Plus (with up to 40% foreign equity component)
  • EAFE Equity
  • US Equity
  • Fixed Income
  • Long Bond

Balanced is best.
Let’s Talk.

Independent for 32 years, Letko Brosseau has provided clients with long-term outperformance.

No alternative investments.
No alternative facts.

Simple ingredients:

  • Low cost
  • Long-only investments
  • No leverage
  • All public market holdings
  • Fundamental research
  • A talented team
Balanced is best.

Balanced
Composite
Returns:

11.3

%

annualized return for over 32 years

3.5

%

annualized benchmark outperformance

Performance results referenced above are annualized and presented in Canadian dollars gross of fees for the Letko Brosseau Global Balanced (Canadian Bias) Composite from January 1, 1988 to December 31, 2019. This $11.3 billion composite includes all discretionary balanced mandates with a bias towards Canadian equities and asset mix targets within the ranges of 30-70% for fixed income and 30-70% for global equities. The benchmark is 5% FTSE Canada 91 Day T-Bill Total Return Index, 40% FTSE Canada Universe Bond Total Return Index, 20% S&P/TSX Composite Total Return Capped Index and 35% MSCI All Country World Total Return Net Index. The benchmark from June 1, 2007 to December 31, 2017 was 5% FTSE Canada 91 Day T-Bill Total Return Index, 40% FTSE Canada Universe Bond Total Return Index, 20% S&P/TSX Composite Total Return Capped Index and 35% MSCI World Total Return Net Index. The benchmark from January 1, 2001 to May 31, 2007 was 5% FTSE Canada 91 Day T-Bill Total Return Index, 40% FTSE Canada Universe Bond Total Return Index, 30% S&P/TSX Composite Total Return Capped Index and 25% MSCI World Total Return Net Index. The benchmark from January 1, 1988 to December 31, 2000 was 5% FTSE Canada 91 Day T-Bill Total Return Index, 40% FTSE Canada Universe Bond Total Return Index, 35% TSE 300 Composite Total Return Index adjusted to cap the weighting of any associated group of equities at 10% of the index and 20% MSCI World Total Return Net Index. Past performance does not guarantee future results.

Value added represents the excess return of the Letko Brosseau Global Balanced (Canadian Bias) Composite over the benchmark from January 1, 1988 to December 31, 2019.

*Peer comparison universe is RBC Investor & Treasury Services Canadian Defined Benefit Plans Universe, dated December 31, 2019.